In this case, there are several reasons
why I choose “A Poison Tree” as my poem discussion. First of all, this poem
is written by William Blake, a very well-known poet for his
soulful originality and lofty imagination. Second, this poem uses beautiful
language and lyrical quality. Furthermore, this poem is simple and short yet contains
common problem that we usually face
in our life and is set out to make a moral point to the readers. In addition, what
we are trying to emphasize most in this poem is how the speaker repressing his anger and the consequences of doing
so. Well, the following are things that
what we can find in this poem and what we are going to discuss:
1.
The poem
contains anger feeling
2.
The poem
contains deception
3.
The poem
contains communication
4.
The poem’s
stanza by stanza meanings
5.
The poem’s
overall meaning/interpretation
6.
The poem’s moral
values
B.
DISCUSSION
A Poison Tree –
William Blake
I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.
And I watered it in fears
Night and morning with my tears,
And I sunned it with smiles
And with soft deceitful wiles.
And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright,
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine, –
And into my garden stole
When the night had veiled the pole;
In the morning, glad, I see
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.
1.
The Poem Contains Anger Feeling
Anger is the basic human emotion which sets the
events of this poem in motion. Although it is not necessarily wrong in itself,
how we go about dealing with anger is extremely important.
‘I was angry with my friend:/ I told my wrath, my
wrath did end:/ I was angry with my foe:/ I told it not, my wrath did grow.
The first stanza (lines that make up a section of a
poem) contrasts two different ways of dealing with anger and the two different
outcomes that may occur as a result.
2. The Poem Contains Deception
Deception can be found in this poem where the
speaker bottles things up and does not talk about his feelings to his enemy
sneaks into the garden in the dead of night to take the fruit.
‘And he knew that it was mine:/ And into my garden
stole’
‘Stole’ is an interesting choice of word. While it
has the clear meaning that the enemy sneaked in under cover of darkness it also
reminds the reader that it is an act of theft.
3.
The Poem Contains Communication
The poet/speaker communicates a direct moral lesson
to the reader about the disastrous consequence of his own failure to
communication with another person.
‘I told my wrath’, ‘I told it not’
This simple but direct use of antithesis (the use of
opposites) shows how simple it would be to talk about an issue but equally how
easy it is to say nothing and let resentment grow.
4.3. The Poem’s Stanza by Stanza Meanings
STANZA 1:
I was angry with
my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.
I had misunderstanding with my friend and was angry,
I told my friend about my wrath, I got over my anger and forgot it. I got angry
with my foe, I did not tell him about it. I bottled up my wrath and it
intensified. It grew and grew like a plant.
STANZA 2:
And I watered it
in fears
Night and morning with my tears,
And I sunned it with smiles
And with soft deceitful wiles.
My anger grew like a tree. I nourished my anger-tree
with anger, suspicion and hatred. I was suspicious of my foe and I was angry
with him. But I tricked him to bring him closer to me. Outwardly, I smiled and
I was friendly to gain his trust.
STANZA 3:
And it grew both
day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright,
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine, –
My ‘tree’ was poisonous because it was full of
anger, hatred and suspicion. Later, it bore a shiny poison apple. My foe saw it
and knew it was mine.
STANZA 4:
And it grew both
day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright,
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine, –
One night when there were no stars, my foe came into
my garden and stole my poison apple. He fell into my trap, he ate the apple and
died. In the morning, I was happy to see him lying dead under my poison tree.
5.
The Poem’s Overall Meaning/Interpretation
A poison
tree is a short and deceptively simple poem about repressing anger and the
consequences of doing so. The speaker tells of how they fail to communicate his
wrath to his foe and how this continues to grow until it develops into
poisonous hatred. Then, the speaker describes how when he is angry with a
friend and talks to his friend about the issue which helps them to overcome his
anger. However, the speaker is unable to do the same with an enemy and this
leads to developing resentment and an even stronger degree of hatred. An
extended metaphor of a tree growing in the speaker’s garden demonstrated how
the anger continues to grow. In the lines and I water’d it in fears’ and ‘And I sunned it with smiles’ the
speaker actively cultivates the tree/anger. Eventually, the anger blossoms into
a poisoned fruit, the enemy eats the fruit and dies and the speaker seems to be
glad of this. However, there is also a sense that they see the destructiveness
of what has occurred. As the first line acknowledge, we can easily overcome our
anger if we communicate it properly.
6.
The Poem’s Moral Values
·
We must not put
wrath and hatred against anyone
·
Suppressing
anger is bad for us and those around us
·
When there is a
misunderstanding, we should talk about it to resolve our differences
·
When there is a
misunderstanding, we should forgive and forget
C.
CONCLUSION
In conclusion,
in this poem, the speaker tells us the difference when he is
angry with his friend and his
foe. He can easily overcome his
anger if he communicates it with his friend, but he cannot do so to his foe. His anger is full
of hatred and growing like a poisonous tree in his garden. Later, his poison tree
bears a poison apple which tempts his
foe. His foe creeps like a thief in the darkness of the night and steals his
apple. Then, he eats it and lies dead under the poison tree in his garden. The
next morning, the speaker is happy that his foe is dead.
D.
REFERENCES
1.
It was accessed
on September, 29th 2019
2.
It was accessed
on September, 2nd 2019
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zg4rg82/revision/4
#analisispuisi #poetry #poem #prose #apoisontree #contohanalisispuisi #analisispuisidalambahasainggris
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.
Night and morning with my tears,
And I sunned it with smiles
And with soft deceitful wiles.
Till it bore an apple bright,
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine, –
When the night had veiled the pole;
In the morning, glad, I see
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.
1.
The Poem Contains Anger Feeling
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.
Night and morning with my tears,
And I sunned it with smiles
And with soft deceitful wiles.
Till it bore an apple bright,
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine, –
Till it bore an apple bright,
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine, –
#analisispuisi #poetry #poem #prose #apoisontree #contohanalisispuisi #analisispuisidalambahasainggris

Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar